Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Minolta XL 400 Film

  1. #1
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you could let us know how you found this board, it would be nice to know.

    Good news!

    All super-8 cameras take all Super-8 Film!

    ...If you have any experience with a 35mmSLR camera...the ones that actually have knobs and buttons for ASA rating, shutter speed, f-stop ring, minimal zoom lens....

    Everything on a Super-8 camera follows those principals...so anyone who has mastered a 35mm "manual" style of camera can easily master a super-8 camera.

    Most of the current advancements in Super-8mm are being done by a company called Pro8mm and are based on the use of negative film stock and then a somewhat expensive (for the non-professional) highly specialized transfer method.

    The basic consumer hands on and save money approach is you buy either black & white Stock, or Etkachrome, or Kodachrome, have it developed by the handful of developers in the world that still do Super-8, and project it on a Movie Projector either with editing, or without, and you can transfer to video yourself...with varying degrees of success.

    As Pat states in the next post (yes, this is an edit update...Kodak currently makes the reversal stocks....which are high-quality...and Pro-8mm makes the negative stocks...which are more light friendly and perhaps grainer...but a tighter grain.

    -Alex



    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited March 10, 2001).]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member pcg's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 2000
    Posts
    204
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex's comments are all excellent. What he left out is that Kodak makes the only film available. They have two B&W types, & two color. Check out their web site at www.kodak.com & look under the Super 8 section.

    You can order directly on-line, & Kodak is still the cheapest place to buy. Good luck!

    /Pat

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MrEoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am new to the world of super 8 and have just purchased my first camera the minolta XL 400 and I am wondering what type of film it uses. I've been told its Type G and that it has been been discontinued. Is there anything I can do,like use different film.
    I bought it on ebay, it was in great condition still in the box and now I dont want to leave it in the box!

    [This message has been edited by MrEoin (edited March 10, 2001).]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MrEoin's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Thanks guys for the informative replies.
    Firstly I bought the camera through ebay before I had done any research into super 8.
    I searched for 'super 8 film' through copernic (a meta search engine) and it sent me to http://www.super8filmmaking.com/s8stock.htm
    and then I found the discussion forum.This is the best site I have found, informative and up to date. A trial version of copernic can be downloaded from http://www.copernic.com. There is a great list of super 8's at http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/list.htm and http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~ternin...y/Cameras.html
    Also closer to home for me is: http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/vfaq.html
    This deals with some FAQ about super 8.
    Thanks again, Eoin.

    [This message has been edited by MrEoin (edited March 11, 2001).]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •